Commissioner for oaths
A Commissioner for Oaths is a person who is authorised to verify affidavits, which are statements in writing and on oath, and other legal documents. A Commissioner for oaths is appointed by the Chief Justice and is usually, though not always, a solicitor. Every solicitor holding a current practising certificate is entitled to administer oaths and to use the title "Commissioner for oaths". A Commissioner for oaths may continue to act as a Commissioner for oaths for as long as he/she remains a solicitor.
You may need the services of a Commissioner for oaths if:
- You are giving evidence on an affidavit for court proceedings in Ireland
- You are making an affirmation, declaration, acknowledgement, examination or attestation for the purposes of court proceedings or for the purposes of registration of documents.
Sky Property Management Ltd is a professional Commissioner for oaths service providing reliable, professional, and cost-effective services for clients across Dublin.
For more information on our full range of Dublin Commissioner for oaths services, feel free to get in touch
The Function of a Commissioner for oaths
The essential functions of a Commissioner for oaths are:
- To make sure that the evidence in question is in written form (the draft affidavit)
- To establish that the person before him/her has read the draft affidavit and fully understands the contents
- To require the person to swear that the affidavit is true by raising the appropriate Testament in the right hand and repeating the words of the oath
- To verify that the affidavit was properly sworn by completing a "jurat" on the affidavit
- To charge a fee for his/her services.
* The fees a Commissioner for Oaths can charge are given in the Rules of the Superior Courts (Fees payable to Commissioners for Oaths) (SI 616 of 2003).
There is a standard fee of €10 euro per signature for verifying statements. If there is an exhibit, for example an affidavit of means, attached to the document that needs to be signed, there is a €2 charge for that. You are advised to check charges in advance.
Commissioner for Oaths FAQ
I need a Commissioner for oaths near me. Where are you based?
Sky Property Management is a Dublin commissioner for oaths based in Sandyford. We offer our Commissioner of Oaths services to clients across Dublin and the surrounding areas.